[openbeos-cdt] Re: Comments on Nicholas Blachford's Photoshop work

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 07:44:04 +0100

Sat, 7 Nov 2009 21:18:35 -0500, Ryan wrote:
> http://blachford.info/computer/haiku/GUI/2_with_curves.png
>
> I have had thoughts of trying to add curves to the window tabs as an
> experiment, and this is definitely in the direction I was thinking,
> I don't really like the curves on the other parts of the
> window though. I think a square cornered window with curved tabs is a
> nice evolution from the current interface.

I'm no fan of curves, but I could get used to it for the tab only. I'd
be even more partial to an asymmetrical look, i.e. the left tab corner
stays nice and sharp edged, only the right gets a generous curve. This
could also result in better distinguishablity when stack&tiling
windows.

(BTW: When going the curve-road, the TabView tabs should be fitted into
the new design.)

I'm against rounded corners of the rest of the window. There are
practical considerations: If you move the tab to the far right, will
the formerly sharp left window corner become curved? Will the right
corner lose its curve? Best keep it pointy.

> http://blachford.info/computer/haiku/GUI/3_with_shadows.png
>
> As I said this one isn't loading, but I assume it is essentially the
> fourth image minus the textures. Commenting on the shadows in the
> fourth image: I think they are too big and diffused and in addition
> they imply a light source which is completely different than that
> used
> for the Haiku icons.

+1.

> http://blachford.info/computer/haiku/GUI/4_with_textures.png
>
> I just plain don't like the textures, at least this version.

Me neither.

Now, what about the 1-pixel borders of windows?
I think it looks good, but IMO they should still behave like they're as
wide as they appear now, i.e. you should still be able to grab them
within a few pixels, even if those appear now to be already part of the
inner view.
One question remains: What about the resizing corner if that one isn't
the big knobbly variety? Would be pretty hard to see...

Or do away with resizing corners completely and do this instead:
ALT+CTRL on border could resize a window (http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4493).

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de