[openbeos-cdt] Re: CDT regrouping: why and how?

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 09:23:05 +0100

Ryan:

I'll try to keep it short then :)

I'm sorry but I think you might have taken my list of potential
political problems a little bit too literarily. I didn't mean that
everybody in the community was like that :) Though I'd like to add
some reflections.

Having worked with broadband support I'm certain that there are a lot
of people who seem to be "novices" for life. Of course it's mostly
people who didn't grow up with computers, so it might not be such a
big issue as computers are a lot more common among kids these days.
However, there's of course a lot of people currently growing up in
developing countries, who will probably have the same problems if
introduced to computers later in their lives.

I think an extreme example of adaptation vs usability would be the
Linux shells (Bash etc). They're super powerful once you learn all
those commands with awkward parameters. In one way they are of course
very usable, albeit by a quite small group, but userfriendliness
couldn't be much worse. Not saying that Haiku is like that, just that
I got the impression that a few think usability is great because
they're good at using it. If the CDT proposes changes this group of
people might protest because they've spent time learning how to use
Haiku effectively and now feel threatened since they might have to
learn something else instead. And they would probably also consider
these changes meaningless because they don't need more
userfriendliness :)

Regarding Haiku's identity, your examples are very low level, barely
noticeable unless you're a programmer. I meant more visual things and
major UI concepts. For example if CDT came up with glossy theme, some
people might say they're trying to turn Haiku into a copy of [some OS
with many glossy UI elements] :) Or if CDT wanted to change the way
programs are normally started, ie replace the leaf-button, they would
probably get to hear similar accusations.

I think a lot of people eventually come around and start to like an
interface (assuming that it actually is an improvement over the old)
if they use it for a while and give it a fair chance. But I also think
that while the interface is still a concept many will reject it
because it doesn't look familiar.

It will be interesting to see if this new CDT takes off and what fruit
it will bear :)

//Johan