[openbeos-cdt] Re: CDT regrouping: why and how?

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:32:24 +0100

Nice initiative Eddy! I also believe that Haiku's power and unique features
would benefit from being packed in a more user friendly (not the Microsoft
interpretation of that, ie "dumb" :)) way.

A few problems I think CDT might have to deal with:

- As you said, decisive power over the interfaces has been in the hands of
the programmers. Will they accept that a design team would take over this?
- Those who have used BeOS or Haiku for a while have learned to use it, and
from their point of view usability is perfect already.
- Some might fear that CDT want to turn Haiku into a clone of another OS,
especially if they suggest taking features that someone else already has.
- If you grew up using computers in a certain way you might find it
difficult to adapt to using a computer differently. One would consider the
old ways better just because they're well known and familiar. New
technologies might dismissed as "stupid", "unnecessary" or something without
having been properly evaluated.
- People who have lots of experience using computers and think they're much
more qualified for interaction design than a group with actual academic
education in the field :)
- And of course those who think Haiku shouldn't be used by regular people.
If they aren't willing to read the manual and learn how to use difficult but
"effective" controls, then they aren't welcome.

And maybe not so relevant yet, but a few design questions that I think
you'll have to tackle sooner or later:

- Modernizing the appearance of Haiku without losing it's core concepts.
- Adding usability and user friendliness without dumbing down the OS or
significant disturbances for experienced users.
- Defining better user interface guidelines for application programmers.
- More consistency in UI designs.
- And doing it all without alienating the community :)

//Johan (I like lists :))