[openbeos-cdt] Re: Border for resizing (was: Re: Areas of interest for CDT)

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:00:58 +0100

-- Ryan Leavengood, on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:38:21 -0500:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> While we generally want to avoid having too many options in Haiku,
> one
> short-term solution would be to make this choice a checkbox that
> defaults to border move. Then people could try border resizing and if
> most prefer that it could become the default (and maybe the option
> could then be removed.)

Yep, just temporarily. I wouldn't want that as actual option, if at all
possible.

> The +SHIFT to take a window to the workspace (good idea) is not
> currently implemented as far as I can tell. At least in the alpha
> release.

It came a bit too late for the alpha, but it's in the branch.

> > Maybe change it to a simpler OPT combo? Also a good candidate for
> > special mouse button mapping.
>
> Well OPT (the Windows key on most keyboards) is already being used
> for
> the Stack and Tile stuff, though with thought all these functions
> might be doable with the OPT key based shortcut, depending on the
> context. All the above for moving, resizing, and workspace switching
> plus if OPT is held and the tab is clicked then stack and tile mode
> is
> turned on.

Exactly. Fits pretty well actually.
Though, if two modifiers isn't too much hassle, I'd even prefer
CTRL+ALT:

* It's the same as Ubuntu workspace switching.
* ALT is the command short cut
* ALT+OPT is already the add-ons shortcut
* OPT could be a system-wide shortcut,
  - OPT+F addionally available to ALT+F, so no Tracker window has to be
active
  - OPT+Space for a QuickAppLauncher á là Gnome Do
  - maybe more (I don't want to derail the thread further)
So, ALT/OPT would be the execute some function and CTRL+ALT the window-
management combo.

Whatever the shortcut key, the function itself is good IMO, and without
the overlay-idea already absolutely non-disruptive and well integrated
with the existing click-to-drag shortcut.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de