[openbeos-cdt] Re: Border for resizing (was: Re: Areas of interest for CDT)

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:28:37 +0100

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would have "border-does-resizing" instead, but don't know if others
> would feel the same. Collecting this kind of data, window-move-by-
> border vs. window-move-by-tab, could help with determining if it's all
> a sentimetal BeOS remnant or a useful feature. Of course all testers
> would have to be blinded...

Amateur analysis:

Assumptions:
1) Mouse pointer is on average in the middle of the active window.

Option A : Border moves window

Use case: Move a window
Cost: Move pointer to tab or nearest edge

Use case: Resize a window, best case
Precondition: Top left corner is at wanted position
Cost: Move pointer to bottom right corner

Use case: Resize a window, worst case
Precondition: Bottom right corner is at wanted position (for example
if you want to enlarge a window so that it matches another window to
it's right)
Cost:
1. Move to edge or tab
2. Try to guess where top left corner should be and move window
3. Move to bottom right
(Move bottom right corner to where it initially was)
4. Repeat from 1 if the estimation wasn't good enough

Use case: Resize a window in only one direction
Cost: It's very easy to accidentally resize the window in other direction too

Option B : Border resizes window

Use case: Move a window
Cost: Move pointer to tab

Use case: Resize a window, best case
Precondition: Top left corner is at wanted position
Cost: Move pointer to bottom right corner

Use case: Resize a window, worst case
Precondition: Bottom right corner is at wanted position
Cost: Move pointer to top left corner

Use case: Resize a window in only one direction
Cost: Move to edge that needs to be resized

Amateur conclusion: :) Border-resize seems more effective, as you can
grow or shrink a window in any direction. With border-move you will
sometimes need to both move and resize a window even if you only
wanted to resize. You'd have to consider how often one moves windows
compared to how often you need to resize them. Also, does the
resize-to-content button reduce the frequency of manual resizes in
practise?

Personally I don't use borders to move a window. To me it's often
faster to move the mouse to the tab because it's a much larger object
and less precision is required. I could also be a little biased
because I'm not used to being able to move by borders.

I'm not sure if a poll is so useful here. To create a meaningful poll
and interpret it's results requires quite a bit of knowledge in the
field.

For example, if people were asked how often they use borders to resize
windows, Haiku/BeOS users would probably say none (or 0%) because you
can't do that in Haiku.

If we instead ask what people prefer, I guess most of them will just
vote for what they're used to. And even if 63, out of the 87 that
answered the poll, prefer one way it's far from a proof that this
method is better (for Haiku) or more efficient or whatever.

//Johan