[haiku-cdt] Re: Border for resizing

  • From: Michael Weirauch <dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:17:16 +0100

2009/11/23 Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> -- Truls Becken, on Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:40:36 +0100:
>> Michael Weirauch wrote:

>> > As there seem to be concers about the clickability of the (thin)
>> > borders, just make the window resize on RMB-drag (additionally).
>> > The "overlay" would be an additional visual guidance on where to
>> > click,
>> > but isn't yet necessary making the resizing work.
>>
>> I strongly agree with Michael that ALT+LMB to move and ALT+RMB to
>> resize anywhere in the window is very user friendly. It is no
>> coincidence that most X11 window managers use this configuration by
>> default.
>
> At least "user friendly" and "X11" didn't met in a single sentence.
> Such a matter/anti-matter annihilation could rip freelists.org to
> pieces... (j/k) :)
>
> I'm not opposed to additionally having mofifier+RMB do resizing, but
> having the modifier+LMB-on-border as a fallback (or default, depending
> how you look at it) has some advantages:
>
> * for single mouse button users, obviously.
> * finer control (X, Y, X/Y resizing, or even moving the window up,
> left, up/left while resizing). I guess the modifier+RMB-thingy always
> resizes from the bottom-right corner (X/Y resizing) or you couldn't
> click _anywhere you like_ in a window for resizing (without introducing
> some hidden areas like shown with our overlay solution).

The RMB-resize-combo should resize into the direction you are aiming at.
Left-top resizes the left-top corner. Having it *always* resize from
bottom-right-corner sounds .. ahem .. not that neat ;)

> * Q: If you modifier+RMB-click in the top-left corner and the bottom-
> right corner resizes, what do you do if your mouse hits the upper
> screen edge? Isn't it strange to have the mouse move at position X, but
> the only the bottom-right corner of the window moves along with it?

See above.

>> I think the overlay would become annoying pretty fast, though.
>
> I guess that has to be tested. Maybe fading it quickly to a barely
> visible overlay will help. Much depends on how visually pleasing and
> suble the effect could be made.
> But, as I said, "Does it make sense to explore this area further at
> this time, or will that have to wait until someone (who?, when?) finds
> out if there is an implemention that won't suck cpu cycles nor
> designwise?"

Perhaps we can wait until Ryan comes up with a solution. Allthough I see
little chance for a quickly working RMB-combo as Ryan mentions some
issues wrt windows always resizing from bottom-right currently.

Michael