[haiku-cdt] Re: Border for resizing

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:20:09 -0500

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:33 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, I'd much rather everyone would agree with the above quote,
> and as a first step, the shortcut is implemented. There's already
> ticket #4493 for it at
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4493.
> That would give us the opportunity to try it out, see how it feels, and
> if aiming for the narrow borders is difficult.

I started working on this. The code is not too complicated but there
is one pretty major app_server design "flaw"/assumption that makes
this more difficult: resizing is always assumed to be done from the
lower left. In other words if you Ctrl-Alt left-click on the top or
left borders the resizing is still done as if you had clicked the
bottom or right border.

So some more code and potential complication needs to be added to the
app_server to account for this. Of course it isn't all bad since it
makes the app_server more adaptable for other decorators which might
allow for resizing from any border without any keyboard modifiers.

I'll play with this some more and hopefully I can come up with
something that won't make the other developers yell at me ;)

> Going the "overlay" road, I mocked up at
> http://picasaweb.google.com/HumdingerB/Mockups#5403667097514157138,
> would ease these kind of operations (maybe integrating visuals for
> Stack&Tile as well). Does it make sense to explore this area further at
> this time, or will that have to wait until someone (who?, when?) finds
> out if there is an implemention that won't suck cpu cycles nor
> designwise?

It is probably doable without being too heavyweight on the CPU, but I
agree with Trus that it has potential to get really annoying pretty
quickly. Though maybe with the right design it wouldn't be so bad. I'd
probably consider something much more subtle than your mock-up :)

But before even considering that let me code the first step of
allowing for border resizing with the modifier keys.

--
Regards,
Ryan