[openbeos-cdt] Re: Areas of interest for CDT

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:24:20 +0100

-- Axel Dörfler, on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:57:56 +0100:
> > Also, Haiku's stated goal is the Desktop. I expect netbooks being
> > the
> > smallest targeted devices. For those, relatively small changes,
> > like
> > running no Tracker and Deskbar, but fullscreen replacements, may be
> > enough to accommodate the small form factor. The same for home
> > theater
> > systems, running only a few custom applications.
>
> Actually, I see no reason why you couldn't use either application as
> is
> on a netbook - they are both very space conserving and efficient.

Sure, but if you do want to have that "Appliance" feeling, that is a
little machine for few dedicated tasks, like surfing+email+mediaplayer,
it may make sense to switch to a full screen mode. A Tracker/Desktop
and Deskbar aren't that useful in that scenario. They could be
exchanged for a fullscreen filemanager and a simpler solution to switch
apps.

This would of course be an extreme limitation of today's netbooks, but
seeing how my poor old father is fighting his XP-netbook, got me
thinking about that... :)

Sure, netbooks can be used as desktops. But when you're shrinking on to
smartphones, things will get awkward without "deep skinning".

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de