[openbeos-cdt] Re: Areas of interest for CDT

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:27:02 +0100

-- Nicholas Blachford, on Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:55:16 +0000:
> Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefit of a consistent GUI on the
> dekstop.
> However, Try to see the benefit of being able to create something
> completely different, if
> you want Haiku to go  beyond the desktop into alternate form factors
> or embedded devices
> you *don't* want a predefined GUI.
> Consider what would happen if you had Haiku running on a modern phone
> type device, the desktop
> GUI would be all  wrong, and these days it'd also be way outdated.

I could imagine that the "deep skinning" you mention, to get a totally
flexible GUI would need a complete rewrite of the app_server. I'm no
developer, so I may be wrong, but I don't see this coming for many

Also, Haiku's stated goal is the Desktop. I expect netbooks being the
smallest targeted devices. For those, relatively small changes, like
running no Tracker and Deskbar, but fullscreen replacements, may be
enough to accommodate the small form factor. The same for home theater
systems, running only a few custom applications.

I'm biased, though, as I just have no use for smartphones. :)

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de