[openbeos-cdt] Re: Areas of interest for CDT

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:47:36 +0100

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess I don't quite understand the concept of the Amiga screens.
> I'm
> always up for resurrecting good ideas from the past, but I'd have to
> be sure something was truly useful before adding it to Haiku. If
> someone has more explanation and use cases for the screens concept
> I'd
> love to hear them.

As a former Amiga user, I can only say that the concept of screens
belong to the past. Workspaces are much much more useful.

> Also as far as Johan's mission to clean-up the desktop, I do agree
> that it is bad how the desktop becomes like a junk drawer, but at the
> same time I think it is a good central place for the volume icons,
> the
> trash, etc. I also think it is very good as a replicant container.
> And
> many people are quite organized in putting files on their desktop,
> and
> it is very useful and accessible for them. So I don't agree with
> forcing the desktop to be clean just because some people make it
> messy. Of course we can still provide tools like the Sorting Chute
> concept I mentioned before to help people organize their files so
> this
> messiness is less likely.

I think the main problem of the desktop is its accessability. I'm one
of those people who put everything on the desktop at least as a
temporary location before I put it someplace else, but there are also
some permanent things I use daily.

That's probably one reason why I almost never use full screen apps. And
yet, there is still no way to make the desktop contents more accessible
- the solutions found in Windows and Mac OS X are a helpful start, but
are IMO far from ideal, either.

Bye,
   Axel.