[haiku-appserver] Re: some help please

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 19 Sep 2005 15:29:23 -0000

>This won't work. E.g. when all rects in "second" are already >through, b
>will point to the last of its rects, whose top will be <= the >previous
>band's bottom. Thus the next band's top will be "bottom + 1" >again, even if
>there's still a rect in "first" which starts farther down.

>I can say that it doesn't work with certainty, because the >change you
>proposed, was what I tried myself first. :-)

Aw, okay, never mind then.

>The idea I had after that, though I never tried that (since >just replacing
>the ASSERT by a return was so much simpler :-), was to use >the line you
>propose, but only when both regions aren't though yet (i.e. >the bottom of
>their last rects has not been passed yet). Otherwise the >concerned
>region(s) would be ignored in the calculation of the next >"top".

[cut]

>PPS: This passing of similar parameters and backpassing of >indices through
>pointers between the involved functions looks a bit like >refactoring the
>stuff into a helper class that uses non-static methods might >be a good idea.

Yes, definitely! I always wanted to refactor that part, there's, in fact, also
a TODO in there. But, unfortunately, never found the time to do that. And
still, I don't think I could do it in the foreseeable future (no (easy)access
to a real beos box). Maybe now that the build works on linux, though, things
could be better.

Anyway, I guess you'll have to live with your workaround for the moment, unless
someone else will step in to refactor that code.

Stefano Ceccherini aka Jack Burton
Non resistere alla tentazione di conoscere nuovi amori!
Oltre 1.800.000 persone ti stanno aspettando su Incontri.
Vivi le emozioni fino in fondo!
http://www.supereva.com