[haiku-appserver] Re: partly paiting

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:29:11 +0200

>     Boy oh boy, I must be out of my mind!!
[8<]
>     Sorry about that, apologies.

Hey, no worries Adi! It's not like we wanted to release the beast tomorrow.

> > The problem that my code solved, was that B_VIEW_RESIZED was not sent for
> > all
> > views that needed it. The way I solved this was to send a single message
> > which contained the tokens from all effected views. The comment you
> > removed
> > explained where this was done in Layer.cpp and what the potential problems
> > were.
>
>     About this...
>     Should we proceed like this, or should we send an individual message for
> each view? To be compatible with R5, ::CurrentMessage() should return
> correct
> values for any view, don't you think?

If it works indeed by sending an individual message for each view in R5, then
I must say, this is quite an overhead. I would assume that sending a single
message is much cleaner and faster. Resizing a single view (for example the
top window view) will result in all children with B_FOLLOW_* flags to be
moved and/or resized. On the app_server side, this is an "atomic" operation,
but when messages are sent for each view individually, I have a bad feeling
in my tommy, that this is a potential source of out-of-sync problems on the
client side. We could still emulate the single current message on the client
side and stick to the way I did it. What do you say?

Best regards,
-Stephan