[haiku-appserver] Re: [Haiku-commits] r14666

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:56:32 +0100 CET

Hi Adi,

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * Decorator now get a DesktopSettings object passed - dunno if
> > that's a good
> >   idea (since we'll have to open the DesktopSettings header), but
> > it works
> >   for now (and something like this is probably needed anyway).
>       I think Decorator should be a Layer derived one, as it has a
> surface
> that's displayed on-screen. It's true that WinBorder can be used to
> display a decorator, but I think it's cleaner to have a Layer derived
> one.
>       Opinions?

Since we have decorator add-ons, I wouldn't like to expose to much
internals to the outside.
IOW I think WinBorder is right for the job - of course, we could
introduce just another Layer-derived class that only draws the
decorator (that is still separated in an add-on), but

> > +           bool            SetR5Decorator(int32 value);
>       Is this needed?

Dunno, it was there and I didn't change it. I have only slightly
touched the DecorManager - it's still under construction. I don't plan
to clean it up anytime soon, as I don't think it's that important for
now.

>       I thought you/we agreed not to use exception anymore.

Nope. I just tried to convince you that it doesn't have overhead when
the mechanism is not used, ie. when no exceptions are thrown - which is
the case in almost 100% of the cases. And therefore, the overhead can
be disregarded.
Also, exceptions aren't even that expensive; in the beginning of the C+
+ language, they used to be implemented quite slowly, but that is not
the case anymore for some years now.

Bye,
   Axel.