[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Pe Alt+Z to undo in addition to Alt+Y

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:41:04 +0100

On 24.12.2011 19:53, John Scipione wrote:
On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    The problem with Pe is it uses keycodes for shortcuts, and is mapped
    to the german QWERTZ keyboard. On my AZERTY keyboard, your fix
    adds... Alt+W, while Alt+Z is already mapped to "close window".
    Proper fix is using chars instead of keycodes and be keymap dependant.
Agreed, Pe should not be using key codes directly, it should use the
keymap instead. This is a much more difficult fix though. I was trying
to do something simple.

Actually, mapping shortcuts to key codes is a valid thing to do, and certainly has it's uses. This is something that is likely to be implemented (optionally, though!) as part of the Haiku API, too.
The way it's done in Pe is rather annoying, though, I agree.

If I were to convert all the key codes to key maps would the patch be
accepted? Using the keymap would fix some other bugs too, like if you
switch your modifier keys in Keymap they would also be switched in Pe.

As it's the way currently done in Haiku, I would say it's very likely that such a patch would be accepted (judging from the contents alone). Just note that this will also break shortcuts in certain keymaps (as with all other BeOS apps as well).

Bye,
   Axel.