From: hahs_63-68-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:hahs_63-68-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Tony Souter
Sent: Sunday, 18 March 2012 4:26 PM
To: hahs_63-68@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [hahs_63-68] Re: SECOND GENERATION ORSTRALIANS

Hi Geoff,

Next time you're in old bonny Scotland, you could try eating haggis for a month.

Let's see how rooted you are then.

Cheers,

Tony

On 18/03/2012, at 4:17 PM, Geoff Goodfellow wrote:

Bonjour, Salut  gentlemen

Max I suspect anyone who has travelled in any country (including France....
particularly France) for more than three weeks will agree that there comes a
time to try another form of cuisine other than the local stuff.

I recall eating full English breakfasts every bloody day for a month in B @ Bs
through England, Scotland and Wales and it took me a long time to face bacon,
eggs, sausages, baked beans and fried bread again.  Same as France.  You eat
too many of their butter soaked saucy, garlic ridden dishes day after day and
you would probably have clogged arteries in a fortnight.  In Germany after 3
weeks you'd pay anything for a big plate of fresh vegetables - every German
meal is laced with huge lashings of meat, but very few veggies - lovely tucker,
but there comes a time when enough is enough.

So yes I agree, when in France certainly eat French food (I will - let's face
it I ate reindeer and Elk every day for a couple of weeks in Finland), but if,
after a couple of weeks, I spot some other more interesting tucker,
particularly something healthy and light like a Vietnamese vegetable dish,
bugger the Frogs, I'm up for a change in diet.  I will probably force myself to
stick to French red wine though and forgo the temptation to try too much
Vietnamese plonk on the streets of Paris.

Peter, I agree with Max - that was a really thoughtful yarn.  My roots are in
Scotland, and even though it was two generations ago, bagpipes still always
manage to stir something in my soul.  When at the council I re-wrote the
citizenship pledges to get rid of all the jingoistic crap and encourage new
citizens to embrace what is good about Australia, but to not ever forget their
own country and what was good about it.  Mind you it would have been telling
them how to suck eggs, because nobody every forgets where ther grew up, but it
needed to be said. Actually Richard you put it more eloquently when you
suggested welcoming new citizens to Oz was like welcoming your wife into the
lounge room.  When people say Australia is a melting-pot of different cultures
I prefer to think of it as a smorgasbord of cultures, where you get to sample
individual bits rather than a khaki mixed-up soup of a thing, but that's also a
bit corny too isn't it?

Come to think of it Richard, if you are letting your good wife roam about in
the loungeroom perhaps you've made the chain from the kitchen and the bedroom a
tad too long.

Now that should elicit a response from someone.

À bientȏt.

Goodfella

From: peterbarda@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: hahs_63-68@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:18:44 +1100

Richard and others

I'm an accidental Australian. My parents spent 3 years in various displaced
persons camps in Germany after WW 2.

In 1948 they could choose between a few countries that were taking  refugees,
Australia amongst them. They couldn't agree on where to settle.

Eventually they agreed that Australia would be the honeymoon (Dad wanted to get
as far away from Europe as possible), and then after a few years they'd move to
Canada (Mum's choice).

One of the great lies/unfulfilled promises - Mum never got further than
Melbourne in the 54  years she lived here.

So, English became my second language, and I salute the Australian flag.

Language could just as well have been German, Swedish, Spanish (Argentina was
an option in 1948), and I might have marched in Vietnam moratorium demos in the
USA rather than down Broadway and George Street from Sydney Uni.

I have more family in Latvia than here. My father had been married before the
war to another woman,  something he and Mum chose not to tell us.

We did not know that until I was close to 20, when someone who had known Dad
before the war asked my sister after Dad's first wife and 3 kids.

The Russians got between the family in Latvia and Dad in Germany.

My first trip to Latvia was in 1999, when I met the extended family (half
brother, half sisters and their progeny) and Dad's first wife.

She was an agronomist, as my father had been.

Long story to make a couple of observations.

From my earliest memories we spoke Latvian at home, and understood that the
language was the culture carrier. Once it stopped being used, our Latvianness
would disappear too.

My 2 sons speak no Latvian and have no interest in the place - although they
have finally made time in their busy schedules (!) to visit Latvia with me this
year.

So, no language, no culture, no interest.

My blood is Latvian, and even though I have been there only twice, I feel a
considerable sense of connection.

There's a cemetery in the small town my father and his forebears lived in, with
ancestors buried back to 1753.

No less powerful a link than (I guess) our aborigines' sense of connection to
country.

For the first 2 or 3 days of my first trip to Latvia I found myself translating
Latvian to English before framing a response.

After that, the translation thing stopped and it was as if there was only one
language - I found myself thinking in Latvian.

At the risk of courting a rebuke from Stu Cardwell about the perils of
xenophobia, you can't deny the claim of blood or language.

(In my view!)

Cheers

Peter Barda

'Bigpond'

755 Sandy Creek Road

Quorrobolong   NSW  2325

T: +61 (2) 4998 6251  F: +61 (2) 4998 6154  M: 0418 438 550  E:
peterbarda@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>