[guispeak] Re: ms-word2003 and table of contents

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:27:38 +0100

Hi Michael,
If you are doing this for the first time, I would strongly
recommend making a copy of your file, and experiment with
the copy.  Once you are happy with the process, you can make
the necessary changes to the live file.
The first thing to ensure is that you have used Word's
Heading Styles where appropriate throughout your document.
If you have not, you cannot generate a TOC.
Place your cursor where you want the Table of Contents to
appear.  You may in fact want to Insert an "Odd Page" break
to that it starts on a right hand page, followed by another
odd page break if you want your chapters to begin likewise.
Next, go to Word's "Insert" Menu, and select "Reference",
and from the resultant sub menu, "Indexes and Tables".
Now navigate to the Table of Contents tab.
I would suggest you familiarise yourself this dialog and its
many buttons and options, but perhaps not initially make any
changes.  Just click the O.K. button, and a TOC should
You may be happy with what you get, but if not, you can
re-generate the TOC and Word will ask you if you wish to
replace the existing one.
I'm sure you will have a few questions after trying this, so
feel free to ask.