[guispeak] handheld guiding aids

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gui-l" <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:56:29 -0400

Good morning George and company.

I am searching very hard for a handheld device, looking much like a small flashlight, used to detect objects ahead as one walks. Those I have either seen in years past or have heard of typically vibrate and/or produce a variable pitched beep to tell the user when a pole, parking meter and the like is coming up. I hope to find something in North America but, if necessary would buy elsewhere if nothing is available here.

If anyone knows of anything, company names, phone numbers or e-mail addresses, whatever, I'd be very grateful to have the info. I have been unable to find anything in the U.S. or Canada although some sensors like these must exist somewhere.

Thanks to everyone.

Jerry