[guispeak] Re: guispeak Digest V6 #39

  • From: "dan thompson" <dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:35:28 -0500

Hi George, I will check on the keyboard instalation. Yes, all were installed via an image. Our main office does all the installations fvia an image copy and this could be the problem. However, it does make their job easier. We are using windows xp service pac3 on all hp computers with four gb ram.

Thanks so much for your advice.
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 12:11:30 +0100
From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Dan,
I have Office 2007 installed on my network here, plus a mixture of
Vista and XP workstations. Ctrl + p opens the Print dialog in all
applications here. Does this still happen if you execute the shortcut
from the Desktop?

Can you advise what operating system(s) is running on the
workstations? Additionally, is it imaged such that you install the
op. system on each workstation from a common image? This might explain
why all 25 systems exhibit the same problem.

One immediate thought, regardless of op. system, would be to check
which keyboard language is in use. This may seem odd, until for
example, you find the if you accidentally installed a UK or European
keyboard, the two Alt keys respond differently. Left Alt is just
plain Alt, but right Alt produces Alt + Ctrl. (And in fact the keyâ?Ts
legend is â?oAlt Grâ??)Â It is normally used to generate a third character
from a key. For example number 4 on the top show. Shift + 4 produces
a Dollar sign, and Alt Gr + 4 produces a Euro currency sign (â,¬).

There are however a number of programs available which will analyse
shortcuts, Shortcut Doctor being one of them. See
http://www.funduc.com/shortcut_doctor.htm.Â; Although it costs $15, it
might well save you hours of hunting down the problem by listing your
shortcuts.

George.