[guispeak] Re: eBook Accessibility

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:18:04 -0000

Dave;

I don't want to deny people the right to protect their work.  However,
there's technical ways for people to protect their work whilst still
allowing access by "trusted" access technologies.  From what I can remember
of the press release from Adobe regarding the introduction of the "Trusted
access technology" scheme, the option to allow content extraction by access
technologies is only available to those access technologies that are trusted
under Adobe's scheme.

The problem is, that publishers are not aware of the implications and
technicalities of allowing or not, access to PDF documents by access
technologies.  So, publishers turn it off, fearing that these "access
technologies" will be able to copy their material.

Ultimately, one solution would be for Adobe to make Reader accessible out of
the box.  There's no reason why screen readers such as JAWS need use the
virtual buffer to display PDF documents, other than Adobe only support
keyboard navigation between elements in the tab sequence.  This is a similar
problem to that which is facing web browsers, where the Mozilla project,
along with Sun Microsystems, are developing a keyboard navigation model for
Mozilla that allows  a user to browse a web page within Mozilla in the same
manner as they would do a Word document.  This indicates that it is possible
to have such a system in PDF, destroying the need for a virtual buffer, as
the PDF mark-up code is similar to HTML.

Will