[guispeak] anyone interested in an old Nokia?

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 20:04:45 -0500

Hi all --
I recently upgraded (although the word "upgrade" is a subjective term...) my cell phone to a network that handles internet and email etc so I could run the newer speech software on my cell phone.
But for years I had a very nice older Nokia 5165 cell phone, which I had very little trouble with. I don't know if the older networks are still running anywhere, but I have both the phone, which works great, and a braille manual for it so you can pick through the menus, and I'd be willing to send it free to anyone who wants it.
I can't use it right now, since my old phone number is no longer using the same limited protocol the old phone used.
Again, I don't know if any provider still offers service on the older network protocol (it used to run on AT&T Wireless) but if it does feel free to write me privately and I'll be willing to part with it.
I liked this phone, even though I couldn't use all the features -- it had menus that I couldn't see, but if I got into a state where I didn't know where I was, I could always turn it off and back on again, and it would reset. And the buttons are big and few so it's not hard to operate.
Anyway, thought I'd mention it.
Please send private email to
if you have a provider that uses this phone and give me your mailing address and I'll ship it -- but please if possible, send shipping -- only a few dollars -- the manual is a big braille book and the adaptor is heavy, and the battery is also a little heavy. But it also has a case to carry it in. It isn't as small as the new phones, which have gotten truely tiny, even as they become more powerful.
Also more expensive....(grumble grumble) but i got a new one for my birthday and got the new MobileSpeak software to run on it, so my old phone is just sitting here taking up space.
Take care and have a nice weekend!