[guispeak] WDS

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:00:35 -0800

Hi listers,
Today, while working on a friend's laptop running Windows XP Service Pack 3, I
noticed something that I hadn't seen before.  I had downloaded a file to her
system, and belatedly it occurred to me that I didn't know where the downloaded
file was placed.  So I opened the Start Menu and went into the Search sub-menu
and clicked on Files and Folders.  Instead of the usual dialog, I got something
that looked like a web page, and at the top of the page was a WDS logo. The
page contained what appeared to be a web form into which you could input the
desired filename, where it was believed to be located, where the search should
take place, et cetera et cetera.  What is this page, where did it come from,
and how does one restore the old-style search facility that comes stock with
Windows XP? I'm really curious about this. Thanks in advance.
Tom