[guispeak] Re: Unchecking the Document Map in Microsoft Word

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:06:24 -0400

In general, there are two ways to uncheck a menu item.  If the menu item is
one of a series of mutually exclusive options, sort of like radio buttons
in other situations, then you can indeed press Enter on another item and
have the one you don't want checked have its checkmark go away.  In other
situations, though, a checkmark stands alone and just means that something
is turned on.  An example of this is the "Word Wrap" option in Notepad.  In
that case, the way to turn the checkmark off is to press Enter on the menu
item again.  The checkmark will behave as a toggle and will disappear after
being hit a second time with the Enter key.  The only way I've found for
determining whether a checkmarked item is one of a group or simply an
individual item that can be turned on and off is to experiment.  In my
experience, if a checkmarked menu item is one of a group of alternatives,
then pressing enter on the same item again has no effect.  The item just
stays checked.  I just tested the "Document Map" item in Word 2003, and it
proved to be a feature that toggled between being on and off when I hit it
repeatedly with the Enter key in the View menu.

Regards,
Jerry

                      "Flor Lynch"

                      <florlync@xxxxxx>        To:
<guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      guispeak@freelist        Subject:  [guispeak] Re:
Unchecking the Document Map in Microsoft Word
                      s.org

                      06/07/2005 02:42

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      guispeak

To uncheck a menu item, choose another menu item.