[guispeak] Re: USB Thumb Drive for JFW 7

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:13:46 -0400

Hi Dotty,
I've played with thumb drive JAWS since before it was released for public
consumption, and, using a Fujifilm 256 megabyte drive I picked up on
special at Best Buy last year, I found it to work very nicely indeed.  I
honestly think the caveat about drive speed is more likely to matter while
you're unpacking the program onto your USB device than it is while you use
thumb drive JAWS for regular purposes.  It's one of those "your mileage may
vary" disclaimers, but, practically speaking, I doubt that you'll find
speed to be an issue.  I have a USB 2.0 port on my computer, so that
definitely helps insure good throughput, but I suspect most drives
available now support USB 2.0 and will only drop back to the slower USB 1.1
data transfer rates if the computer in use doesn't support USB 2.0.  We
recently picked up another 256 megabyte drive for around $30 at Target,
and, although I haven't actually tried it with thumb drive JAWS, I don't
doubt that it would work fine.  You should have no trouble finding a FLASH
drive that would serve your needs well.  By the way, I only have experience
with drives that use FLASH memory.  I've never tried one with an actual
hard drive inside.  I absolutely love the FLASH drives, though.  They're
the most convenient, reliable, no-fuss things I've bought for the computer
in years.

Cheers,
Jerry

                      Dorothea Martin

                      <dotty-martin@voy        To:       guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      ager.net>                cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [guispeak] USB Thumb
Drive for JFW 7
                      guispeak@freelist

                      s.org

                      10/13/2005 04:11

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      guispeak

Hello,
I have been reading on the FS site about running JFW 7 from a USB Thumb
drive. There is a sentence that says that some thumb or flash drives work
faster than others with JFW 7. Is anyone in the know about which drives
they are which work faster than others? I'm planning to purchase one of
these drives and would like to make a good choice.
Dotty Martin