[guispeak] Re: Textpal questions

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:44:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi Donald,
It's fine with me if you post TextPal questions on this list, since

TextPal can do what you want but it does require use of "regular
expressions."  You would define a massage operation containing the
search and replace tasks to transform your files as desired.  You would
then list the files to be processed in an editing window, one per line.
The Path List command, Control+Shift+P, can help you generate the list
from a folder, or you can type it manually.  You would then issue the
Massage Operation command, Control+Shift+M, and choose the definition
you saved.  TextPal announces the name of each file as it processes it.
Please note that the files are changed, themselves, rather than copies
made, so you may wish to back them up first.

I created and tested a definition file called NoQuotes.txt that removes
email
quoting consisting of either the space or > symbol at the beginning of
lines.  The content of this file is as follows:

remove email quoting
\\1

The TextPal documentation discusses the format of this file.  Regular
expressions ar more than I can summarize even in the TextPal
documentation, but it does provide URLS for tutorials I thought were
good.

Hope this helps,
Jamal