[guispeak] Re: Strange Error Message

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:36:32 -0800

Hi Keith,
You wrote:

  I am running Windows 7, 32-bit, on a Fugitsu 10/10 Tablet PC, with JAWS
12.0.510. Yesterday morning, when rebooting my computer, I noticed that all
JAWS settings went back to factory defaults.  Then I noticed that, when I tried
to load Microsoft Outlook, I got a strange error message. I sent the computer
over to our tech folks, who have no idea what the error message means.

  The error message is:

  Identity Login

  There is no current identity

  Select your identity name below.  To add

  or modify an identity, click Manage

  Identities.

  Password:

  Log Off Identity Manage Identities

  OK Cancel

  I'm going to hazard a guess here, that Windows 7 was installed over the top
of Windows XP instead of a clean Windows 7 install on a formatted hard drive,
and that Outlook Express,or some vestiges of the program, are still around and
causing you trouble.  To my knowledge, Outlook doesn't support identities.  The
dialog that you are talking about is related to Outlook Express, and will occur
if no identity is selected as the default.  In Outlook Express, these
identities are actual mail accounts, and the program wants to know which one to
use when the program starts up.  Until you can go into the program and specify
the main or default identity, you'll keep seeing that dialog.

  They did mention that, though I have 4 GB of memory, memory may be the issue
because we run 32-bit instead of 64-bit.

  Memory is not an issue here, except that perhaps Windows 7 32-bit might not
make full use of all four gigs. .  The machine should have been reformatted and
a clean Windows 7 install performed.

  I have three questions.

  First, does anyone know how this error might be resolved?

  See my answer above. Resolve the identity issue or find a way to remove
Outlook Express. Or, format the HD, do a clean Win 7 install and re-install
your applications.

  Second, is either WindowEyes or System Access less memory-intensive than
JAWS?

  Good question: probably so but I can't say for sure.

  Hope this helps.

  Tom