[guispeak] Re: Special Introduction To Computers Class This Summer

  • From: Glenda Born <gjborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 16:23:02 -0500

What operating system are you focusing on? XP? Vista? Hopefully someone will come up with some training materials for Vista soon because it's here. We've done some training with our trainers in Texas in the rehab agency but I haven't heard of anything for the general blind public.

Glenda Born

At 03:05 PM 5/16/2007, you wrote:
Dakota State University in Madison, SD, is offering CSC-105, "Introduction to Computers," specifically for blind and visually impaired students from June 18-29, 2006. This course will feature a general introduction to computers and a general introduction to the Microsoft Office Suite. It provides an overview of computer functions with emphasis on word processing, spreadsheets and database software packages. Students will learn to use keyboard shortcuts necessary for successful and efficient operation of the computer by blind and visually impaired computer users, as the course is designed with screen reader users
in mind.

All students will learn to utilize keyboard commands that will enable them to effectively utilize the computer in a world often using mouse-oriented language and concepts. All students will be using a screen reader.

I am instructing this course and would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about lodging, costs, etc. Please feel free to contact me by email or by phone.

Keith Bundy
Director of Student Development
ADA Academic Coordinator
Dakota State University