[guispeak] Router Question

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:53:07 -0800

Hi,
I know this isn't strictly gui-related, and I hope for some lattitude on this one.

At work, we have ten computers on a simple peer-to-peer network, all connected through hubs to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Because the router is acting as a DHCP server, each computer is given a dynamic IP address. We want to share a newly-acquired printer on the network, and the printer apparently has server capability built into it. So, as I understand it, the printer must be assigned a specific IP address on the network in order for a computer to reliably connect to it. My question is how one would go about doing that in the router setup if the router is assigning IP addresses via DHCP? Can you have static addresses for some devices such as this printer and dynamic addresses for everything else? I'm new to this stuff so no flames, please.
Thanks in advance.
Tom