[guispeak] Pinnacle Studio -- Any Good for a Blind User Using JAWS?

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:10:44 -0500

Hi all,
A couple of weeks ago my family picked up a "Dazzle" video capture board
that I believe is sold by Pinnacle Systems, one of the better-known
companies in the digital video area, as I understand it.  The Dazzle unit
came with something called Pinnacle Studio Quick Start which apparently can
do a lot of gee whiz stuff in terms of creating digital videos with special
effects and what-not.  My actual interest, however, is in simply capturing
video out of a camcorder for burning to DVD to preserve home videos we've
made on tape over the past ten years or so.  Initially I thought things
looked pretty good for using Pinnacle Studio with JAWS.  It actually has
true Windows-style pull-down menus, and I managed to use some dialogs to do
set-up.  Then I started running into problems with stuff like activating
the button to begin video capture.  Working together as a team, my family
managed to capture some video pretty successfully.  Then things became more
complicated as none of us, whether sighted or otherwise, found a clear path
to converting the captured "footage" to a form suitable for burning to DVD
or even saving as an MPEG-type video file.  As time went on, it became
clearer and clearer to me that I was somehow not thinking properly about
the process of capturing and converting video.  I'm used to recording audio
with a program like Gold Wave and then saving it to disk in the audio
format I want.  With Pinnacle Studio, it was much harder for me to even
understand how to save the captured video.

So, first, has anybody on the list used Pinnacle studio with speech, and is
it something that can work reasonably well?

Second, if Pinnacle Studio works with speech, what is the sort of "mental
model" I need to use in dealing with video assuming I manage to capture it
in the first place?

Thanks a lot,
Jerry