[guispeak] Re: Microsoft ebook reader and the *.lit format.

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:51:29 -0000

Hi;

AFAIK, it doesn't allow printing.  As an aside, I doubt the legitimacy of
using OCR seeing as the TTS plug-in is provided to make Reader accessible.
I'm not a legal expert, but would imagine that this would only be
permissible in situations where the TTS plug-in offered no output, such as
.lit files composed of scanned images.  I think this is slightly different
in the UK, where there is no law governing accessibility of eBooks, and
instead it's left up to the old laws governing photocopying of books, in
which OCR, or at least scanning, of a limited portion of a book is allowed.

I am looking into the possibility of getting reader to work with at least
one of the popular screen readers with a friend from Microsoft.  Hopefully
something will come out of this.

Will