[guispeak] Re: Machine running very slow

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:36:57 -0400

First, you should definitely move to SP2 as soon as possible.  It has been
stable for a long time now and is much much more secure than SP1.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of security may have resulted
in you contracting some malware on your computer.  Have you run a virus scan
or a spyware scan lately?
Are you using a firewall?
As for removing junk from startup, you can do this by either uninstalling
programs you don't need (go to "add/remove programs" on the control panel)
or else do the following:
1) bring up the start menu and select run
2) type msconfig
3) control+shift+tab to the startup page and uncheck all the programs you
don't want cluttering your startup.

Note that this is not the same as removing them; you are only doing a
"selective startup", where some of the programs are run and others are
present but not run.  The only way to remove them is to either uninstall the
programs that put them there (see above) or else edit the registry, which I
do not recommend.)

Ok, now restart your computer.
When it logs in you will be put in a dialog saying you are doing a selective
startup.  Just click ok and proceed from there.  If you don't want to see
that message in the future I think you can check a box.

HTH.  Let me know if this helps.
Performance problems can also be caused by disk fragmentation.  I have a
family member who said her computer sped up immediately after she did a
defrag.
You can do this by going to
start \programs\accessories\system tools\defrag

Good luck.
--le