[guispeak] Re: Help With New XP Machine Out Of The Box?

  • From: Ann Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 21:47:33 -0500

Paul,

I just did exactly that with a Dell Dimension 3000. It's tricky, but can be done.

When I first booted my machine I was not on the desk top, but in something called 'out of the box'. Narrator did fairly well reading to me what had to be filled in--things like the computer name (being not very creative, mine is called 'Mom'). I don't remember what else, but it took me a while--half an hour?-to do it. Remembering, of course, that I was flying pretty blind here. There was nothing requiring reading, or information from a sticker or label. Somehow the capslock key got turned on, so when I typed in my name it came out small letter first, but I can live with that. I may have done something wrong, though, because I still can't get this baby on our home network, even though it does Internet just fine. But the answer to your question is that you absolutely should be able to do it--not easily, but adequately. This is an awesome computer. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Ann

At 09:20 PM 5/23/2005, you wrote:
Hi listers.

I am scheduled to receive my BRAND new XP Dell Dimension 3000 tomorrow.  I
will NOT be having any sighted help at all to get it up and running so I am
wondering, has anybody on this list got a brand new XP machine up and
running right out of the box WITHOUT any sighted help at all?
Also, how useful is Windows Narrator?  Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Paul