[guispeak] Has Anybody Successfully Used WinDisk, the Shell Extension for Moving Files Between the PC and Old Freedom Scientific Notetakers, Under Windows Vista?

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:01:33 -0400

Hi all,

I still use a Braille Lite 40 which forces me to do file transfers over a
serial port for loading, saving, backing up, restoring and so forth.  I
just got a Windows Vista laptop for home and am trying to use WinDisk with
it.  I bought a USB to serial converter cable to add a serial port to this
new computer since serial ports are getting rather scarce these days. Thus
far I have managed to get to where the WinDisk program does see the files
and folders on the Braille Lite, but any time I attempt to copy a file
across the connection between the computer and notetaker, I get an
immediate clang from Vista and generally an error box that just says
"Error" with an OK button.  Does anybody have ideas for making this work?
Yeah, I know, I should probably buy a Pac Mate or a Braille Note, but I
work for the auto industry, and things aren't all that cozy in that
particular industry right now, and braille devices continue to be
frightfully expensive.

Thanks,
Jerry