[guispeak] Fwd: please sign the Google word verification petition

  • From: Ann Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:26:49 -0600

This is from another list.  In case anyone would be interested.

Google, which has a whole lot of services, uses a system called captcha,
which requires someone to type the letters you see in a graphic to proove
you're a human being.
Many people in the blind community have asked them to give us an
alternative method for signing up.  Some other services like Microsoft's
msn, Yahoo! and other sites like Live Journal provide audio representations
of the characters you type, and many people think Google should provide the
same kind of alternative method for accessing their services, but to date,
they haven't.
the website to visit is
http://www.petitiononline.com/captcha
Simply go to the site, fill in your name, e-mail address and any comments
you'd like to send to google.  You don't need to actually leave any
comments, and your e-mail address will not be shown so there's no chance of
anything bad happening.  So visit
http://www.petitiononline.com/captcha
and sign your name to the petition.  The more people we have sign this
petition, the  better it will look to google.  Right now we have 32
signatures, but of course, for Google to take this matter even remotely
seriously, we need to have as many as we possibly can. It  only takes a
second, and hey, anything we can do to get rid of the captcha method of
verification is ok with me!