[guispeak] Fwd: Kim Komando Show Tip of the Day -- Tuesday, February 1, 2005

  • From: Andy Baracco <wq6r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:00:43 -0800

AND NOW FOR TODAY'S TIP... Printing dates on documents

Q. I have always had the date appear at the bottom of any item
I printed. Since getting a new printer, I no longer get the date.
I called the manufacturer, which told me I must set each program to
show the date. I cannot find a setting in any program. Please help
me with this. I am falling behind in my filing.

A. I checked several programs that you might use for printing. In
all cases, they allow you to add a date in some way. In the following
instruction, I am assuming you want the date at the bottom. If not,
put the date in the header, rather than the footer.

Microsoft Word--Click where you want to place the date. Click Insert>>
Date and Time. You will have a selection of choices--date only, time
only and date and time. Choose one and click OK.

You can make Word insert dates in all documents automatically.
To do that, you must change the Word template. That is a file named
Normal.dot. You'll find it in these folders:
Windows XP--C:\Document and Settings\[Your Name]\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates
Windows 2000--C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates
Windows ME--C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
Windows 98--C:\Windows\Profiles\[Your Name]\Application DataMicrosoft\Templates

Make a copy of Normal.dot and save it in another folder, in case
you make a mistake. Then right-click Normal.dot and click Open.
Click View>>Header and Footer. Click in the footer box at the end
of the template. Click Insert>>Date and Time. Select the date style.
Click "Update automatically." Click OK.

--Microsoft Excel--Click View>>Header and Footer. Click Custom
Footer. Enter the date.

You can make a template in Excel, too. Open an Excel worksheet and
put in the footer (or header) along with the date. Click File>>Save As.
Save it as a Template (*.xlt). It goes in the same folder as the
Word template. Make a shortcut to the Excel template and put it on
the desktop. You have to open the template specifically to get the
dated worksheet.

--Internet Explorer--Click File>>Page Setup. In the box marked
Footer, enter "&d" (without the quotes). All subsequent printouts
will include the date, which changes automatically.

(You can print a number of things in the header or footer. To find the
codes, click File>>Page Setup. In the upper right corner, next to the
X, click the question mark. Then click the Header or Footer box.)

--Firefox--Click File>>Page Setup. Select Margins&Header/Footer. Under
Headers and Footers, find the position in which you wish to place the
date. If this is a one-shot thing, click Custom and write in the date.
If you want the date to be there always, and to update automatically,
click Date/Time.

The date can be added manually to the bottoms of documents created
in other programs, too. Most also will have a way to create a template,
and will update automatically.