[guispeak] Re: Fwd: Adapting PCs to an aging population

  • From: "david poehlman" <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 07:59:22 -0500

Andy, this is an excellent article and it points out something I have been
saying for quite some time.  If I see something like a picture of a
wheelchair and I am a member of the public but maybe I have just a bit of
physical or visual difficulty, I would not know that I could get help by
clicking that symbol or even if I did, I might be reluctant to do so due to
the seemingly off putting nature of the symbol in identifying me with people
in wheelchairs.  There are schools a lot of parents would not send their
children to because some of the people there were "so strange".  They did
not realize how much of a help the school might have been for their child
who later often had to go through the same sort of training as adults that
they would have gotten along with education at the school.  We need to
mainstream this.  We're so big here on mainstreaming everything else to
death so even in the next itteration of windows if and when it comes to
pass, I am asked if I am blind...  Why not just start out making assumptions
but make them correctly and during the set up process, allow folk to turn
off or change settings to suit them and in the final interface, make it easy
to do cool things.

On the mac side, I was surprised to learn that the mac has a "simple screen
reader".  I know they are coming out with a release of os x; os x 1.4
otherwise known as tiger which will be useable without a monitor due to
having a spoken interface called voice over:
but it does not look "simple" to me and seems from its description to be a
cut above Narrator for windows which by the way, microsoft should release as
a free download for all versions of windows.  However, In current os x,
there are a ton of accessibility features from spoken alerts to speakable
items which by the way was not mentioned at all in the article for relieving
all kinds of age related declines to sticky keys to screen settings. If I am
not mistaken, the mac also offers a feature where by you can have text read
to you by clicking an icon or a menu item.

Johnnie Apple Seed