[guispeak] Re: Fw: eBook Accessibility

  • From: "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:16:37 -0500

Personally, I think PDF Magic is a good solution for image-based PDFS,
since other solutions such as Open Book and Kurzweil cost much more.
For text-based PDFs, I have found that no single text extraction tool
seems to be consistently better than others -- it depends on the layout
of the PDF and the approach used to infer the most logical reading
order.  Adobe Reader 7.0 now is one of the best for individual
conversions, certainly better than previous versions of Adobe/Acrobat.
The best batch mode converter of text-based PdFs that I've found so far
is called Solid PDF Converter, about $60 from soliddocuments.com.