[guispeak] Fw: BlindNews: An innovative computer tool for visually impaired

  • From: "beth" <fb-oe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 10:34:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leon Gilbert" <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 8:03 AM
Subject: BlindNews: An innovative computer tool for visually impaired

> Indo-Asian News Service
> Monday, January 03, 2005
>
> An innovative computer tool for visually impaired
>
> By Sanu George
>

> Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 3 (IANS) An innovative tool that people with poor
eyesight can use while handling computers is getting a massive response
since its launch a week ago, says its 19-year-old creator Stephen Antony.

> "I am getting a huge response from people who are thankful because they
have got over a major problem of using the net," says Antony, who has thrice
won the Superior Coder of the Planet Award from the US.

> The tool can change colours and font sizes to suit those visually
impaired, and there is also a virtual newsreader for the blind.

> "The visually challenged can choose blue, red, green, yellow or white
colour. The size of the font can be increased or decreased at the strike of
a key," said Antony.

> For the blind, Antony has the virtual newsreader 'Charlie' that can read
out the news.

> The new tool can be downloaded from the website www.webspidy.com that
Antony launched three months ago. The site logs more than 100,000 hits a
day, says the computer addict.

> He said: "The single biggest advantage of my tool is that it comes totally
free and can be accessed by anyone from anywhere in the world on any
computer without buying any software.

> "I developed this after speaking to a few ophthalmologists because I was
not sure of the colours," he said.

> Antony, who had been hooked on to computers since the age of 10, is doing
his second year degree course in chemistry.

> He has written 16 software systems and also updated the M. Tech syllabus
of the Mahatma Gandhi University at Kottayam.

> "I am working on several things at the moment and my aim is just to prove
to the world that we in Kerala too can do things," said Antony.