[guispeak] Re: Firefox 1.0

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:30:04 -0000

Hi Laura;

Yes, you could build an interface directly from within the scripts.  There's
not generally not much need to build an MSAA client from within scripting,
as generally the existing script functions that deal with MSAA work
perfectly well, but occasionally you want to do something a little
different, and this is where it becomes a useful technique to know.

Have a look at the script functions GetCurrentObject and GetObjectAtPoint.
These return an instance of the iAccessible interface, which is the
interface for the MSAA objects.  All the properties and methods for
iAccessible are detailed in MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com), and they
explain them better than I can.  But if you build your own MSAA Client, then
you'll be interacting with these directly.  For example:

Script MyScript()
Var
Object oObj,
String Temp

Let oObj = (GetCurrentObject(GetCurrentWindow());
Let Temp = oObj.AccName(); assigns the iAccessible::AccName to Temp
SayString(Temp);
EndScript

The line:
Let oObj = GetCurrentObject(GetCurrentWindow());
assigns the iAccessible interface for the current window to oObj.  The line:
Let Temp = oObj.AccName();
then assigns the AccName property to the Temp string.

It's also worth having a copy of oleacc.h, which is the C++ header for MSAA
handy.  This contains all the return values that equate to things like the
control type (AccRole) and control state (AccState).

Will