[guispeak] Can a Blind Person Create a DVD from Captured Video Using Off-the-shelf Software?

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:34:02 -0400

Hi all,
Last year I bought a package at Best Buy that consisted of a video capture
unit (I think it was called "Dazzle") that plugs into a USB port and a
basic edition of Pinnacle Studio.  I was able to connect our old High 8
video camera to the capture box and record the data onto the computer
without a huge amount of trouble, although I think I may have needed a bit
of sighted help to activate some of the controls.  Then the "fun" began. I
simply could not figure out how to save the captured movie in any format I
was familiar with.  Ideally I'd have made a DVD disk.  Alternatively I'd
have made some sort of movie file.  Even with a team consisting of myself
and my wife together I couldn't manage to make an output file in a format
that made sense to me.  On top of that, of course, there was so much
emphasis on mouse-clicky stuff that I don't think I'd have gotten anywhere
without sighted help.  For a package that's supposed to be so popular, I'm
not impressed especially given that working together with my sighted wife
we couldn't figure out how to produce a meaningful product.

This isn't intended to be a blast against Pinnacle Studio.  What I want to
know is if there's any software out there that I as a blind person can
learn to understand enough to be able to create a DVD or movie file by
capturing video through that Dazzle capture unit.  The goal is essentially
to archive video tapes of "home movies" in a format that will be supported
into the future.  Is Windows Movie Maker (which I think is included with
Windows) a viable option, or would it be so blind-hostile as just to be
another source of frustration? Would Multiquence, the audio/video mixing
product from the maker of Gold Wave, be of any use to me? Is the whole
exercise simply impossible and I should just give up in despair?

Thanks for any help,
Jerry