[guispeak] Re: 4 Blind Mice?

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:35:36 -0800

Hi all --
Well I went and read the page and have some thoughts:
First, I have heard this name ("4 blind mice") for some time now, perhaps
years.
Apparently it has been around that long as it runs on win95 and all
successive versions of windows.
Also, it only uses SAPI as its speech engine, which is a drawback.
Also, I don't know about WinEyes or Hal or Supernnova or some of the other
screen readers, but in jaws you can put the jaws or mouse cursor in
unrestricted mode and do a fair amount of screen scanning, and also you can
label the graphics, which i saw no mention of in this description, although
that doesn't mean it doesn't do it.
It's also $45, which is a little pricy given the limited description --
although I haven't tried the demo.
Now that being said I think it is an interesting idea and might consider
trying it sometime, but not today...
Thanks for the link though, and I'll pass it along.
And if you decide to try it yourself, please post your experience! It would
be interesting!
Take care.
--le