[guide.chat] to Carol

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:45:23 +0100

Hi Carol, that was very interesting about the Frank Taylor centre. I started of
there too. But it was only once a week then. Is that the one off Brunswick
Street Ardwick. let me know please.

love Malcolm. xxx
Good morning our cheeky boy on here. Thank you for your kind words on here to
us all.  I got friends who lost dogs took them months Darran,but the main thing
is,yu treasure your love that you both had together while it lasted.
Darran,its very hard I know but please try get your self together love because
if you don't you could be waiting very long time for new Guide dog and the
longer your waiting the more you become house bound we don't want that.

When I first went totally blind my depression made me stay in for whole 18
months yes,that is right  very frighteneing but I knew if I didn't make a move
nobody els weill at the end of the day it was up to me.
Somthing inside me snapped and said right come on Carol stop getting depressed
make move or be depressed for rest of your life.
so after that social services got me in day centre for 4 years wow I was
terrified  but felt better when my boyfriend Eric came their he held my hands
on the mini bus we all got on and inside the building.
it was huge day centre
Called Frank taylor centre
it used to bee little primary school.
the hall and stage was still their class rooms were turned in to offices
guess what after 6 month in their I got to love it so mum was thrilled at that
time that I got all my confidence back once again

it became she couldn't keep me in wow
Oh that Frank taylor centre was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Staff their gave me long cane traning wow took for ever believe me.

did it in the end though
very lot of help
lots of staff in their

Then we had craft room wow can't tell you how excited I was with that.
we made baskets in their where you have to wet the canes if yu know what I mean
twist them make trays
big job.

In one corner old ladies were all knitting in another corner disabled men were
painting
some had learning difficulties ah bless them painting very childish painting
but they were so happy.
I could see shadows then and bright red and white
so lucky then
it was in year 1990 went blind in 1989
still had light and dark but shadows then

we all had craft room on monday Tuesday it was meeting Wednesday games day
friday mobility lessons so yes in their 5 days a week.
9.30am to 3pm by time mini bus dropped us off i was home for gone just after
4.15pm

We had barbecues in their huge garden and had christmas parties in their
lots of people in wheelchairs.
blind in their
men and ladies got age of  a 5 years old
some had no limbs one in wheelchair had no legs loved painting.
one had no arms in wheelchair but loved chatting all the time

some on cruches
some ladies in their 50's got excited like children they were so happy
it was just a wonderful centre till the council decided to close it all down
everybody was all upset we campagned and got mps on to it posters to save our
centre
but no they closed it now car park
guess what
all them that were in weelchairs all went back in to their depression again
they were all building new life in their

Thought I would share that with you
life at the end of tunnel Darran
you have to reach out for that light and say
Right that is it going to get on with my life
take care
Carol xxxx