[guide.chat] on Educational Issues

  • From: "clare moulds" <clare@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:39:30 +0100

Hi David. Oh this is very interesting and yes I couldn't agree with you more. I
agree that integrating blind into mainstream schools is a good thing. I went to
mainstream schools and even though I had a very hard time because of bullying
as in those days it was very rare to have a blind child in mainstream schools
but my parents didn't want to send me away to school they had to fight to keep
me in the same schools as my sister. I believe they made the right decision.
I'm sure it' was very traumatic for the poor kids being sent away so young for
me it doesn't bear thinking about. I passed all my exams and the experience
made me so much stronger and has made me believe that I can do anything despite
my blindness and have as much to offer as everyone else. I had my own support
tutor through school. They are more aware these days but I still think raising
awareness is so important of any disability as we still have a long way to go.
It's very interesting to hear others experiences and very inspiring. Love Clare