• From: "Harold Kitching" <harold.kitching01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Forum chats guade forum" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "mrs villa" <mrsvilla4@xxxxxxxxx>, "Keith Wines" <muckyduck2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:51:31 -0000

    Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when
    were growing up?'
    'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
    for Fish & Chip shops and we ate not so hygienically from newspaper
    wrappers. 'All the other food was slow.'
    'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
    'It was a place called 'home,' I explained. 'Mum cooked every day and
    Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table,
    if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there
    I did like it.'
    By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to
    suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how
    had to have permission to leave the table.
    But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood
    I'd figured his system could have handled it:
    Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf
    course, travelled out of the country and credit cards had not been
    My parents never drove me to school. I had my mother's bicycle that
    probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
    We didn't have a television in our house until the Queen's Coronation.
    It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at
    pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the
    at about 4 p.m. and there was usually locally produced news and
    was live.....or film.
    I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line.
    Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you
    didn't know weren't already using the line.
    Pizzas were not delivered to our home but milk was.
    All newspapers were delivered by boys and many boys delivered
    My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at
    6:00 every morning.
    Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the
    There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced
    everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence (except cowboy
    films) or almost anything offensive.
    If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want
    share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just
    blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
    Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
    MEMORIES from a friend:
    My Dad was cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December)
and he
    brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a
    with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my
    daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt
    or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing
    board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons.
    I am old.
    How many do you remember?
    -Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
    -Ignition switches on the dashboard.
    -There were two postal deliveries per day and one on Saturday morning.
    -Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    -The street lights were turned off at about 11pm each night.
    -Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
    -Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.
    -Corona fizzy drinks were delivered in glass bottles each week, and
    the empties returned.
    Older Than Dirt Quiz:
    Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
    Ratings at the bottom.
    1. Sweet cigarettes
    2. Milk Bars with juke boxes
    3. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
    4. Party lines on the telephone
    5. Newsreels before the film
    6. TV test card patterns that came on at night after the last show and
    there until TV shows started again. (There were only 2 channels, if you
    7. Peashooters
    8. 78 rpm records
    9. 45 rpm records
    10. Hi-fi's
    11. Metal ice trays with levers
    12. Blue flashbulbs
    13. Cork popguns
    14. Wash tub wringers
    If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
    If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
    If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
    If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!
    I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best
    of my life.
    Don't forget to pass this along!!
    Especially to all your really OLD friends....I just did!!

You will