[guide.chat] Re: guide dogs

Hi joo.  Well I'm 31 and like you had never had a dog before.

Well not a guide one in any case.

I applied around 2 years ago, just to see what it was all about really.

But I got excepted straight away.

I thought no more about it after that.

Then in March this year I got a call from TGDA saying could they come over.

They did and it turned out they had a dog for me.

Like you I had used a cane till then.

Well I kinder thought I'm here now may as well give it a go.

So in April this year off I went still not really shore if it was right for me
or not.

But mate it's one of the best things I ever did.

I'm not saying it's made a big difference to where I can go as I went out
before, but boy does it make one to how easy it is.

You walk so much faster and with so much more confidence and folk actually talk
to you instead of just diving out of your way.

If you walk up to a group of people you just weave in and out and flash through
rather than them jumping out of the way or you slamming a stick or yourself
right on in to them.

The things to think about are these I think.

Its a grate aid to mobility but it's still a dog.

It still needs it's poo picking up and letting out and feeding and walking even
wen you don't.

It still gets dog hair all over the show.

Also one of the big things with a dog is that you don't come in to contact with
things anymore.

What I mean by that is wen you use a cane you may know that wen you find the
phone box your by the shop or that you need to turn left.

Now your dog will just whip you round the phone box and you'll not even know
it's there.

This is why a lot of people can't have them, because your mobility skills have
to be very good as the info like that that you get is hugely reduced.

Your need for it is reduced to as a dog can be trained to find all of your
favourite places.

I'm shore you know this but it's a total miff that you can say to a dog take me
to Lloyds and the dog will find one.

They will find doors that you train them to find for you and they stop you
walking in to things.

That's it.  That's all they do.

It's a dog it can't read.

But having said all that my only regret is that I didn't do it years ago.

My dog is a huge black 50 50 cross with lab and retriever and is called Sam
he's fantastic.

And me go back to that stick now?

Not a bloody chance.

  Ta Scott and all the best in what ever you decide.