[guide.chat] Re: In Reply To: question for people born Blind

  • From: "David L. Bailey" <baileydavidl62@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:17:53 -0400

Hi Carol and others,

    I was not born blind, I have some limited vision in one eye now 20/450
and none in the bottom half of that eye.  I realize what you are saying
about creating mental pictures of things when you have never seen them.  I
might question whether blindness is harder for those who are congenitally
blind (birth) or adventitiously blind (after birth).  My question is based
on the statement "You cannot miss what you have never had."  I have learned
to navigate au solo in cities I never visited before becoming blind usimg
only my cane.  This does require more concentration and use of memory than
when I could travel by sight.  I miss being able to see the beauty of world
around me, I enjoy not seeing some of the ugliness of disasters etc.
However, since I still hear and know of the human tragedy in these
situations they still cause me pain.  I would definitely choose to have my
sight back to emjoy the beauty of God's creation as I am blessed to
experience it.  I miss seeing all the beautiful women that I encounter.  I
guess truly I miss seeing the sexy women, as I can still experience the
beautiful ones based on their actions and speech to others they interact
with and many of the sexy ones were not so beautiful after all. So really
not that much of a loss after all.  However, landscapes and seeing acts of
love and generosity that is missed.

Thank You,
David L. Bailey
baileydavidl62@xxxxxxxxx