[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] jim

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>, "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:10:42 +0100

Vanessa;
Believe it or not, although I was in Egypt for two months, and part of an
excavation, I never went inside the pyramids of Giza!
I DID go inside a sixth dynasty pyramid, that of King Teti - but that was a lot
smaller than any of the Giza pyramids, though a lot more highly decorated.
You're posting with someone who spent two months in Egypt but came back without
a suntan, as I spent so much time either underground in the Tanis or Theban
tomb complexes, or in the Cairo Museum.
Even when we were on a dig at a rubbish pit at Tanis, we were working at night
under arc lights.
I'm so glad my sight was reasonable at the time - OK, I was still registered
blind, but I was able - just - to make out many of the wall paintings and trace
the inscriptions. I realise now that I'd never have made it as a professional
Egyptologist, as my sight was on a downward track at the time. However, I still
have contacts with a few Egypttologists in the field, and now, with the
Internet, I can surf some of the serious sites - as well as some of the wacky
ones, and, trust me, there are hundreds of those around!

From: James Liddell - Email Address: james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 01/06/2012 08:25
Sent To: vanessa, GUIDE CHAT - Email Address: qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx,
guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: In Reply To: [guide.chat] great sphynx of egypt

Hi, Vanessa;
I tend toward the Khafre theory, since the mortuary temple of that king was
not, as in the case of those of Khufu and Menkhaure, in alignment with their
pyramids.
I'd discount either Khaba or Djadefre, since neither their mortuary temples nor
tombs were near completion at the time of those kings' deaths.
I've both seen - and touched - the 'dream Stela' of Thutmose IV, carved and put
in place between the arms of the sphinx before he became king.

That particular stele is interesting for several reasons:
1. it mentions "Horemakhet" - 'Horus of the Horizon'; a title used later for
the god Aten.
2. It mentions Aten as well, one of only a dozen mentions in the eighteenth
dynasty before Thutmose IV son, Amenhotep III, and grandson, Amenhotep
IV.Akhenaten, brought the name to prominence.
3. It mentions "Herakhty-Kheperi", an ancient combination of names which was
used to honour the sun god Re in his aspect of Horus.
That suggests that the sphinx, by the time of Dyn XVIII was firmly associated
with Re - which was also the god Khafre used in his throne name, mortuary
temple and statuary.

How's that for boring stuff?
Mind you, the Old Kingdom wasn't my speciality - that was more the Atenist
period of Dyn XVIII and the Late period, Dyn XXI-XXVI.

-----