[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] from Elizabeth: A Trip Down Memory Lane

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Elizabeth Kay" <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide.chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:37:15 +0100

Brilliantly written, Elizabeth.

I, too, was/am a country boy. Although Auchinleck was a former mining town, it
is surrounded by countryside, and the Boswell and Dumfries house estates have a
great amount of woodland. Hills surround us - the Leadhills, Louther hills and
the moorland stretching toward Lanarkshire.

     We used to get up with the sun and ramble till it set - in the summertime,
that means from about half past four until eleven o'clock. Funny, we were never
bored; walking, finding ruined farm cots, seeing deer, badger, hare, otter and
even pine marten in the estate woods - from which we were, of course,
technically excluded; but as long as no damage was done, the gamekeepers didn't
bother. "No damage" included us coming home laden with blackberries, brambles,
crab apples, wild strawberries and mushrooms.

     We used to explore places from which we were excluded with abandon; The
Boswell mausoleum, last resting place of James Boswell and his ancestors and
descendants, was a favourite place for ghost stories. We used to scour the
moorland, looking for marker stones where the martyrs of the "Killing Times"
were shot on sight and buried there and then. Covenanting heritage is still
strong in the area. On airdsmoss, where a battle between "Bluidy Clavers" -
James Graham of Claverhouse, later "Bonnie Dundee", and Richard Cameron and a
band of Covenanters resulted in the latter's death, and burial, minus heads and
hands, which were taken to Edinburgh. We actually found musket balls: I have
one beside me as I type this, enclosed in a solid plastic bubble.
Thanks again for sharing your memories, and allowing me to dredge up mine!
Jim.