[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Is there any body there

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dawn Watson" <dawnyhen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:07:27 +0100

OK, Dawn; you asked for it!
You asked for proof of my daftness.
Can I proudly say that I was the winner of the "Muppet of the month" award
three months running, in my local, 70-strong CB Club?
(Ah, those were the days!)
The award consisted of a giant green (stuffed) frog....I still have it, so who
needs a teddy bear?
I want you to picture the scene.
In the dim and distant past before mobile phones, there I was, walking along,
long cane in one hand, CB walkie-talkie in the other.
Now, one of the best places to get a signal was the local graveyard, which
looks out over the hills toward the south and Galloway. So I plugged my
external mike into my CB, put on the rubber duck - a kind of flexible Ariel
which stopped you poking your eye out with the set's own Ariel - and started
talking.
I'd propped the set against a convenient headstone, and was enjoying a
modulation with a breaker on the mobile channel (sorry, CB talk) After about
ten minutes, two shapes materialised in front of me....after a few seconds
trying to see what they were, they happened to be two old dears. As I was the
person talking at the time, they must've thought I was trying to get comfort
from talking to a departed loved one.
I un keyed the mike.
The person at the other end of the conversation let out a laugh - I'd been
sharing a joke.
Dawn, I'm telling you: those old woman took off in the opposite direction,
probably beating the land speed record in the process!
Curiously enough, they never seemed to speak to me again.
I wonder why?

How's that for starters?

And there's more!