[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] how letters are made in sticks of rock

  • From: "Dazzling Darren" <darren.sunjay72@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>, <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:34:44 +0100

Hi Jimbob,

I was always told that it was Ken Dodd's Diddy-men  who stuck the letters in
Blackpool rock on their days off.

Darren. xxx

From: vanessa - Email Address: qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 21/06/2012 11:20
Sent To: GUIDE CHAT - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guide.chat] how letters are made in sticks of rock

How The Letters Are Made In A Stick Of Rock

After eating a stick of rock, I wondered "How do you get the letters through
the middle of every stick?" My original thought was that they like make the
rock, then dab a coloured ink on the ends and let it run through the middle...
but no, now I look back, that?s a stupid answer.

Oh, before I start, a stick of rock is also known as Blackpool rock and it
doesn?t need to be a stick, as you can see in the image below.

Well here?s how it's actually done. They don't make each stick of rock
separately, they use a lot of mixture and make one giant sausage shaped stick
of rock, then its pulled and rolled until it is very long and thin, then cut to
the sizes which you buy them at.

The middle white part of a stick of rock is made by heating sugar, glucose and
water to a temperature of 138°C (280°F). Once this exact temperature has been
reached, the mixture is poured onto a water cooled table then most of it gets
transferred to a pulling machine. The pulling machine has three metal arms
which constantly rotate crossing over each other which give the mixture plenty
of air which turns it white. The rest of the mixture that doesn?t get
transferred to the pulling machine gets coloured and is used for the letters.

The coloured mixture is then put on a heated table. The letters have to be made
big enough to stretch the length of the rock (about 1.2 metres long and 30
centimetres in diameter). The letters are made by taking long flat red strips
of mixture and wrapping around the white mixture to form the letter, a bit like
3D lettering.

For example, to produce the letter 'O', a piece of white mixture is rolled by
hand into a thin solid roll. A piece of the red mixture is rolled to form a
flat strip and gets wrapped all of the way around the white roll. Then if you
look at it from the end, it'll look like an 'O'.

This is then wrapped by the rest of the white mixture and then wrapped by a
coloured casing.
from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123