[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Re: In Reply To: question for people born Blind

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:12:58 +0100

Hi

I think there is a debate here. Which is hardest for us. Being born blind or
loosing your sight in later life. None are nice but both have there own
problems. I want to ask this question. Can a blind person at birth  get any
idea of what something looks like , not by feel but a picture in your mind. Can
you          imagine what animals look like or cars or male and female. I put
that because I heard a programme on the radio about this blind man that got his
sight back. A naked man and woman were standing in front of him and he had no
idea which was which. After a couple of months he was asking to be made blind
again because he couldn't cope with it.

So I take it that totally blind people at birth are put into the system and go
through school etc and get all they need.

A person who looses there sight like I did is very hard. One because you loose
your job as I did and I had a family to support. I had worked all my life. So
here I am in my forty's and suddenly I am in a different world and don't no
where to turn. I got my first social worker who said  I know nothing about
blind  people so we'll have to muddle through together. What a good start when
you don't know yourself. Your family have to adjust , the house is rearranged,
and so on and so on.

I had to start again like being born again. As a man standing at the loo was
impossible, because you can't see what your doing. How to eat your food. How to
really do anything Then you start going out. Do you go out with helpers or like
me I wanted to learn with a white stick. To find your way around you've known
for years. Now I might as well been in another country. Your wife is sat there
worrying if I'll get back alive. I could go on for ever. Don't think I'm saying
one is worse than the other. I think there both as bad as each other but in
different ways.

I would like to hear from other people who have lost their sight in later life.
And I wonder if anyone on this list has ever heard of Stickler Syndrome. This
is very rare and I haven't met anyone else with it. If there is someone on this
list I would like to hear from them.

Now hopefully this should keep us going for a bit. But keep the fun side of it
too.

love Malcolm. xxxxxxx sayin